ZooEasy Version 13 is available now and has several new and improved features. In this blog you will find what has changed to improve your ZooEasy experience.
New: how relevant is the inbreeding percentage?
At this moment, you see at a glance the inbreeding percentage of each animal. An inbreeding percentage of 0% is excellent. But this number is not of any value when the parents of this animal are unknown. That’s why we now automatically calculate how many ancestors are known. This number is expressed in the abbreviation EEG (Equivalent Entire Generations). Now you know how valuable your information is.
The EEG is calculated as follows:
Every ancestor has a certain value:
Greatgreatgrandparent: 0,0625, etc.
Our software counts up all the ancestors. If you know both parents of the animal, but have no further information of other descendants, the EEG is: 0,5+0,5 = 1. Do you also have information about all 4 grandparents, the calculation is: 0,5+0,5+0,25+0,25+0,25+0,25 = 2. But if you know the mother and 2 grandparents, but you don’t know the parents on father’s side, the EEG value becomes 1,5. In short: the higher the number, the more exact the chance that your inbreeding percentage provides a good reflection of reality.
Click on the image below to view this in full size
New: completeness pedigree
Besides the EEG you can also quickly see how complete the pedigree of each animal is. The value indicates how many complete generations are known. For example, if both parents and all 4 grandparents of the animal are in the database, you will have 2 complete generations. But if both parents of the animal are known, but only 3 grandparents, you only have 1 complete generation.
The completeness of your pedigree says something about the value of the indicated inbreeding percentage. The more generations of ancestors are complete, the more reliable your inbreeding percentages are. In addition, you quickly see which data is still missing. For example, use the search function to look for all animals with less than 10 generations of complete pedigrees. Now you know exactly which animals you can research to find out more about their ancestors.
What’s the difference between completeness pedigree and EEG?
The values of the completeness pedigree and EEG can sometimes be the same. The EEG indicates how many ancestors are known in total. This counts every ancestor in your database. The feature completeness pedigree only checks the number of complete generations. As soon as there’s 1 ancestor missing, the count stops and this generation isn’t counted for the number of complete generations.
New: transfer certificate
Breeders can use a transfer certificate when selling their animal. The certificate shows the contact details of the current and new owner, a detailed description of the animal and a health statement. Read more in this blog about the transfer certificate for bird breeders.
– Have you added contact details of judges to your Show results? From now on you find these contacts in your list of contacts, in the tab Judges. Tip: walk through this list once to see if the initials, name and contact details are complete.
– When you print a pedigree of an animal, you can now also add the results of each show in the list with results.
– Do you add an animal via the pedigree? Now you can add the status color and deceased date. This will prevent you for editing parent animals (who have deceased in many cases) twice in order to get your data right.
Do you currently use Version 11 or lower?
Then you can also upgrade directly to Version 13. You will even find more new features than mentioned in this article. Which new features you can expect, depends on your current version.
– Click here for changes since Version 12
– Click here for changes for Version 11 and below
How do I upgrade to Version 13?
Do you use ZooEasy at this moment? Then just follow these next few steps:
1. Click here or copy the following link to your browser: http://standalone.zooeasy.com/
2. Choose your animal species*
3. Click on Order now
4. Do you already use ZooEasy? Click on the tab Subscriptions
5. Choose your version: CD-Rom or Download and click on Order by Internet
6. Fill in your discount code: ZV13 and receive 20% discount. This is automatically processed
7. Fill in the form
8. Check your details and pay your order
*Is your animal species not in this list? Choose a random animal species. At step 7 you can choose the right animal species from the extended list.
As soon as you receive your license code from us, you can start using Version 13. Would you like to continue with your own data right away? Just import your own database to Version 13. This way you continue where you have left.